City of Hood River, Oregon
Ordinance No. 1999
AN ORDINANCE MAKING CERTAIN DETERMINATIONS AND FINDINGS RELATING TO AND APPROVING THE HOOD RIVER HEIGHTS BUSINESS DISTRICT URBAN RENEWAL PLAN
WHEREAS, the City Council of the City of Hood River (“Council”) has declared that blighted areas exist in the City of Hood River and has elected to have the powers of an urban renewal agency exercised by a commission designated by the Council; and
WHEREAS, Council has declared that the name of the urban renewal agency shall be the Hood River Urban Renewal Agency (“Agency”); and
WHEREAS, the Hood River Renewal Agency (“Agency”), as the duly authorized and acting urban renewal agency of the City of Hood River, Oregon (“City”), is proposing to undertake certain urban renewal activities in a designated area within the City pursuant to ORS Chapter 457; and
WHEREAS, the Agency, pursuant to the requirements of ORS Chapter 457, has caused the preparation of an urban renewal plan which is attached to this Ordinance as Exhibit A, and incorporated herein by this reference (“Plan”). The Plan authorizes urban renewal activities within the Hood River Heights Business District Urban Renewal Area (the “Area”); and
WHEREAS, the Agency has caused the preparation of a report accompanying the Plan as required by ORS 457.085(3) (“Report”), which Report is dated July 11, 2011 and is attached to this Ordinance as Exhibit B and incorporated herein by this reference; and
WHEREAS, the Plan and the Report were forwarded to the City of Hood River Planning Commission for recommendation, and the Planning Commission considered the Plan and Report on June 20, 2011 and adopted a finding that the Plan conformed with the Hood River Comprehensive Plan and that the Plan be approved by the Hood River City Council; and
WHEREAS, the Plan and the Report were forwarded on May 25, 2011 to the governing body of each taxing district affected by the Plan, and the Agency has thereafter consulted and conferred with said districts; and
WHEREAS, on May 25, 2011 the City met with representatives of Hood River County to review the Plan, including proposed maximum indebtedness for the Plan; and
WHEREAS, on DATE, the City met with representatives of the Hood River School District to review the Plan, including the proposed indebtedness for the Plan; and
WHEREAS, the City Council has not received written recommendation from the governing bodies of the affected taxing districts: and
WHEREAS, on June 15, 2011 the City caused notice of the hearing to be held before the City Council on the Hood River Height Business District Urban Renewal Plan, including the required statements of ORS 457.120(3), to be mailed to utility customers within the City of Hood River, and
WHEREAS, on July 25, 2011 the City Council held a public hearing to review and consider the Plan, the Report, the recommendation of the Planning Commission, and the public testimony received on that date, and does by this Ordinance desire to approve the Plan;
NOW THEREFORE, THE COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF HOOD RIVER HEREBY ORDAINS THAT:
Section 1. The City Council hereby determines and finds that the Plan complies with all requirements of ORS Chapter 457 and the specific criteria of ORS 457.095(1) through (7), in that, based on the information provided in the Report, the recommendation of the Planning Commission, and the public testimony before the City Council:
1. The area designated in the Plan as the Area is blighted, as defined by ORS 457.010(1) and is eligible for inclusion within the Plan because of conditions described in Section II of the Report, including the need for infrastructure improvements, lack of streetscape, lack of public spaces and underdevelopment and underutilization of property within the Area.
2. The rehabilitation and redevelopment described in the Plan to be undertaken by the Agency is necessary to protect the public health, safety and welfare of the City because absent the completion of the urban renewal projects, the Area will fail to contribute its fair share of property tax revenues to support City services and will fail to develop and/or redevelop according the goals of the City’s Comprehensive Plan.
3. The Plan conforms to the Hood River Comprehensive Plan as a whole, and provides an outline for accomplishing the projects described in the Plan, as more fully described in Chapter IX of the Plan
4. In connection with any residential displacement occurring as a result of the acquisition and disposition of land in the Plan, provision has been made for displaced persons in Section X of the Report as required under applicable state and federal law;
5. The acquisition of real property provided for in the Plan is necessary for the development of infrastructure improvements, including parking improvements, in the Area and for the development of public spaces; because the Agency does not own all the real property interests (rights of way, easements, fee ownership) that will be required to undertake and complete these projects as described in Chapter IV of the Plan and Section V of the Report.
6. Adoption and carrying out the Plan is economically sound and feasible in that funds are available to complete the Plan projects using urban renewal tax increment revenues derived from a division of taxes pursuant to section 1c, Article IX of the Oregon Constitution and ORS 457.440, and other available funding as shown in Sections V, VI, VII, VIII and IX of the Report; and
7. The City shall assume and complete any activities prescribed it by the Plan.
8. The City Council expressly accepts, rejects or modifies the written recommendations of [xx] as follows:
Section 2 : The Hood River Heights Business District Urban Renewal Plan is hereby approved, based upon review and consideration by the City Council of the Plan, the Report, the recommendations of the Planning Commission, and the public testimony in the record.
Section 3 : The City Recorder shall forward forthwith to the Agency a copy of this Ordinance.
Section 4 : The Agency shall thereafter cause a copy of the Plan to be recorded in the Records of Hood River County, Oregon.
Section 5 : The City Recorder, in accordance with ORS 457.115, shall publish notice of the adoption of the Ordinance approving the Plan, including the provisions of ORS 457.135, in the Hood River News no later than four days following adoption of this Ordinance.
Read for the First Time this 25th day of July 2011
Read for the Second Time, approved and effective this 25th day of July 2011.
Arthur Babitz, Mayor
Jennifer Gray, City Recorder Approved as to form:
Daniel Kearns, City Attorney
Attachments: Exhibit A – Plan, Exhibit B – Report