ORDINANCE NO. 1959
(An ordinance making certain determinations and findings relating to and approving the Hood River Waterfront Urban Renewal Plan)
WHEREAS, blighted areas exist in the City of Hood River, specifically within approximately 109.11 acres of the waterfront as more fully described in the Hood River Waterfront Urban Renewal Plan (“Plan”) dated July 28, 2008 (attached to this Ordinance as Exhibit A, and incorporated herein by this reference) and the City Council and Port of Hood River have jointly considered the necessity and desirability of undertaking certain urban renewal activities in the waterfront area designated in the Plan pursuant to ORS Chapter 457.
WHEREAS, the Hood River Urban Renewal Agency (“Agency”) is the City’s urban renewal agency and exercises the powers of an urban renewal agency in accordance with ORS Chapter 457;
WHEREAS, the City Council, pursuant to the requirements of ORS 457.085(1) and (2), has caused the preparation of the Plan to authorize urban renewal activities within the Hood River Waterfront Urban Renewal Area (the “Area”);
WHEREAS, the City Council has caused the preparation of a report accompanying the Plan as required by ORS 457.085(3) (“Report”), which Report is dated July 28, 2008 and is attached to this Ordinance as Exhibit B and incorporated herein by this reference;
WHEREAS, the Plan and the Report, and the Planning Commission Staff Report, dated July 7, 2008, (“Staff Report”) (attached to this Ordinance as Exhibit C and incorporated herein by this reference), were forwarded to the Hood River Planning Commission on July 7, 2008 for its recommendation, and the Planning Commission considered the Plan, Report and Staff Report on July 7, 2008 and acted on July 21, 2008, to forward a recommendation to the Council that the Plan be approved by the City Council with certain modifications, which the Council has considered;
WHEREAS, the Plan and the Report were forwarded on July 9, 2008 to the governing body of each taxing district affected by the Plan, and the City Council thereafter consulted and conferred with each taxing district;
WHEREAS, the City Council has not received written recommendation from the governing bodies of the affected taxing districts:
WHEREAS, on June 26, 2008, the City Council caused notice of the City Council hearing on the Plan, together with the required statements of ORS 457.120(3), to be mailed to utility customers within the city limits of Hood River and published according to ORS 457.120(4); and
WHEREAS, on July 28, 2008 the City Council held a public hearing to review and consider the Plan, the Report, the recommendation of the Planning Commission, and the public testimony received on that date, and does by this Ordinance desire to approve the Plan.
NOW, THEREFORE, THE CITY OF HOOD RIVER ORDAINS AS FOLLOWS:
Section 1. The City Council hereby determines and finds that the Plan complies with all requirements of ORS Chapter 457 and the specific criteria of ORS 457.095(1) through (7), in that, based on the information provided in the Report, information provided in the Staff Report, the recommendation of the Planning Commission, and the public testimony before the City Council:
1. The area designated in the Plan as the Area is blighted, as defined by ORS 457.010(1) and is eligible for inclusion within the Plan because of conditions described in Section II of the Report, including the underdevelopment of property within the Area, the lack of adequate streets and other rights of way serving property in the Area, the insufficiency of utilities, including sewer and water, the odor problems of the Wastewater Treatment Plant, and the insufficiency of facilities and improvements at the recreational sites in the Area;
2. The rehabilitation and redevelopment described in the Plan to be undertaken by the Agency is necessary to protect the public health, safety and welfare of Hood River because absent the completion of the urban renewal projects, the Area will fail to contribute its fair share of property tax revenues to support public services and will fail to develop and/or redevelop according the goals of the City’s Comprehensive Plan;
3. The Plan conforms to the Comprehensive Plan of Hood River as a whole, and provides an outline for accomplishing the projects described in the Plan, as more fully described in Chapters III and V of the Plan;
4. There is no residential displacement occurring as a result of the acquisition and disposition of land and redevelopment activities proposed in the Plan;
5. The acquisition of real property provided for in the Plan is necessary for the development of public facilities and public improvements in the Hood River Waterfront Area as described in Chapters IV and VI of the Plan;
6. Adoption and carrying out the Plan is economically sound and feasible in that funds are available to complete the Plan projects using urban renewal tax increment revenues derived from a division of taxes pursuant to section 1c, Article IX of the Oregon Constitution and ORS 457.440, and other available funding as shown in Sections V, VII and VIII of the Report; and
7. The City, by and through its Agency, shall assume and complete any activities prescribed it by the Plan.
Section 2. In accordance with the findings set forth above, the public testimony and the information presented to the City Council, the City Council approves the Hood River Waterfront Urban Renewal Plan.
Section 3. The City Clerk shall forward a copy of this Ordinance to the Agency. The Agency shall deliver a copy of the Plan to Hood River County to be recorded in the Records of Hood River County, Oregon.
Section 4. In accordance with ORS 457.095 and 457.115, notice of the adoption of this Ordinance approving the Plan, and the provisions in ORS 457.135, shall be published in the Hood River News no later than four days following adoption of this Ordinance.
Read for the first time: _________________________, 2008.
Read for the second time and passed: _________________________, 2008, to become effective thirty (30) days hence.
Signed , 2008.
Linda Streich, Mayor
Jennifer McKenzie, City Recorder