City to Implement 3% Service Fee on Non-utility Credit and Debit Card Payments
The Building Department is responsible for reviewing applications and issuing building permits.
Permits are required for the following activities in the City of Hood River:
- Demolition of a building or portion thereof.
- Moving a structure.
- New construction.
- Additions to existing structures.
- Structural alterations and repairs to existing structures.
- Conversions of existing structures.
- Change of Occupancy or intensification of use.
- Manufactured Home Placement.
- Installation of Mechanical Equipment. (also addition to or alteration of existing mechanical equipment)
- Site Development Permit (Fill/Excavation of more than 50 cubic yards).
- New or alterations to Fire Protection Systems (fire sprinklers or fire alarms).
- Accessory Buildings over 10 feet in height or over 200 sq. ft. in area.
- Window Replacement (if window size changes)
- Awnings and canopies
- Retaining walls over 4 ft. in height (measuring from the bottom of the footings to the top of the backfill) or supporting a surcharge.
- Installation of new or altered signage.
- Paint, wallpaper, carpet or other floor covering installation.
- Signage placed in the interior of a building.
- Accessory building less than 200 sq. ft. and less than 10 ft. in height. (Contact the Planning Department to determine required setbacks.)
- Decks less than 30 inches above finished grade.
- Residential re-roof - where the replacement or repair of roofing does not exceed 30 percent of the required live load design capacity and the roof is not required to be fire resistive. Exceptions: If structure falls within the scope of Appendix N or O.
If your project does not fall under any of the above categories, please contact the City of Hood River’s Building Department at (541) 387-5202 for clarification
The following permit applications and information sheets are available online: