The Building Department is responsible for reviewing applications and issuing building permits.
Permits are required for the following activities in the City of Hood River:
- Demolition of a building or portion thereof.
- Moving a structure.
- New construction.
- Additions to existing structures.
- Structural alterations and repairs to existing structures.
- Conversions of existing structures.
- Change of Occupancy or intensification of use.
- Manufactured Home Placement.
- Installation of Mechanical Equipment. (also addition to or alteration of existing mechanical equipment)
- Site Development Permit (Fill/Excavation of more than 50 cubic yards).
- New or alterations to Fire Protection Systems (fire sprinklers or fire alarms).
- Accessory Buildings over 10 feet in height or over 200 sq. ft. in area.
- Window Replacement (if window size changes)
- Awnings and canopies
- Retaining walls over 4 ft. in height (measuring from the bottom of the footings to the top of the backfill) or supporting a surcharge.
- Installation of new or altered signage.
- Right of Way Permits (for retaining walls, driveway approaches, sidewalks or utilities.)
- Sign permit are required for new and alterations to existing signage.
- Paint, wallpaper, carpet or other floor covering installation.
- Signage placed in the interior of a building.
- Fences not over 6 feet in height.
- Accessory building less than 200 sq. ft. and less than 10 ft. in height. (Contact the Planning Department to determine required setbacks.)
- Decks less than 30 inches above finished grade.
- Residential re-roof - where the replacement or repair of roofing does not exceed 30 percent of the required live load design capacity and the roof is not required to be fire resistive. Exceptions: If structure falls within the scope of Appendix N or O.
If your project does not fall under any of the above categories, please contact the City of Hood River’s Building Department at (541) 387-5202 for clarification
The following permit applications and information sheets are available online: